Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tilapia, Rice, Green Beans, & Stuffed Mushrooms

I had to go to the dentist today & get a permanent cap put in. I did a few chores outside; it sure was a nice day. My supper tonight would be a little healthier: my last few cooks on the smoker were high on the hog; and low on the hog! Tonight we would have, Cajun seasoned Tilapia, cooked on cedar planks, Uncle Bens broccoli rice au Gratin, green beans, and stuffed mushrooms. The stuffed mushrooms were an add on; I seen them at the grocery & thought those sure look good! The rice would be done inside & the rest on the smoker. I wanted it all to come together at once. That is one thing I am still learning, how to cook all on the smoker and get it done together.

Using the cedar planks for fish is my go to method. I don’t do them at high enough temps to get any cedar flavor, but I sure like the way it keeps the fish moist, keeps my grill clean, and the fish are easy to get off the planks. Doing the fish at 300 deg the planks do not get any charring & I reuse them after washing off & then in the dishwasher. I think this is the fifth time I have used them & they look good for another cook.

I soaked the planks in water for about 4 hours. About an hour before cook time I covered the Tilapia with the juice of one lemon & in the fridge. I preheated my smoker to 300 deg. Wiped the planks off & sprayed with olive oil, seasoned both sides of the fish with some Cajun seasoning & on the planks. The green beans were in a microwavable package, it said to do on high for 2 to 3 minutes, so I did them for 1 minute. I put the planked fish on the smoker, went back inside & got the rice cooking. I drizzled some olive oil on the green beans, a little seasoning salt, & wrapped with a silicone elastic band, put them on the smoker.

I had put the fish on at 5:00; and the green beans shortly after. At 5:10 I put the stuffed mushrooms on. At 5:30 everything was done & served it up. Everything tasted good & the combination went well together. Well all was done but the green beans, the wife said they were a little too el Dante. They still tasted good but should have nuked them a little longer.

Some ingredients


Tilapia seasoned & planked


On the smoker


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment