Sunday, October 23, 2011

Spaghetti & Meatballs and Brussels Sprout Salad

Yesterday, Oct 22 turned out to be a nice fall day. The sun came out in the afternoon, the first time since we came home from Las Vegas. I made up my meatballs in the morning, using a recipe from CTown Fisherman over at pelletheads forum, as a guide. I made large, 2 ½ inch meatballs using 1 lb of ground chuck & 1 lb of fresh ground sausage. I had 9 meatballs & would use some leftover spaghetti sauce, some Classico tomato & basil I had doctored up with sautéed pepper, onions & garlic and added some Italian seasoning mix. My meatball recipe would also do well for MOINKS, by changing the ketchup to your favorite BBQ sauce. If you don’t know what MOINKS are they are ground meat, meatballs about 1 to 1 ½ inch. Cubes of cheese sometimes added in the middle, jalapenos can be used too, all wrapped in bacon & smoked on a pellet grill. They make great appetizers.

I also would have the Brussels Sprouts salad with cranberries, toasted walnuts, & lardons topped with a mustard vinaigrette and some garlic bread. Cleaning the sprouts was the worst part; you must core them enough to separate into leaves. This salad is a taste treat, my wife does not like Brussels Sprouts but loved this salad, does not usually like nuts in her salad but liked the toasted walnuts. I will post a printable recipe for the salad & the meatballs.

I did my meatballs on smoke 180 deg for ½ hour using my Weber grill pan then went to 300 deg for another ½ hour. Then into a preheated cast iron skillet, sprayed w/olive oil, poured my favorite spaghetti sauce over and back on the smoker for another ½ hour. I took the skillet in & on a burner covered in foil to hold while getting the pasta & garlic bread ready. I had some roasted garlic bread from Krogers that I finished baking at home, added some butter & garlic powder then toasted under the broiler. All tasted good & the wife & I especially like the salad I learned how to make at my cooking school at the Mon Ami Gabi in Las Vegas.

Printable Salad Recipe

Printable Meatball Recipe

Meatballs made


Ready for the skillet


Sauce added


My Salad


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment