Thursday, October 20, 2011

Our Las Vegas Dining

October was a celebration month for my Wife, Nancy & I. In August we had our 45th wedding anniversary, we just celebrated with a lobster dinner at Red Lobster. In October we would celebrate with a visit to see our son Jason, his wife Tonya, and their son Gavin Quin in Las Vegas. They had moved there in early summer & Tonya’s birthday was Oct. 13th and Gavin’s was Oct. 14th. We flew out on Oct. 12th & would return home Oct 18th.

I told Jason I wanted to take all out for a good dinner to celebrate. Thursday evening he had reservations at Mon Ami Gabi, a classic French Bistro, located at Paris Las Vegas.
It was a fine choice and we ate on the patio, my wife loves to sit & people watch and this was a good spot to watch the crowds on the Las Vegas strip while we ate. Gavin had shrimp cocktail and Mac & Cheese. The shrimp were large, one was enough for Gavin, but his dad & I were happy to help him finish them! Tonya had a veggie plate and Jason had haddock & mussels, a bouillabaisse special. Nancy & I both had steak & frites. She chose steak with blue cheese sauce, it was sirloin pounded to ¼ inch thick and filled half her plate. I chose Hanger Steak with merlot butter sauce, a cut new to me. The waiter said it was a cut that came from near the liver so it had a slight liver taste. It came in two pieces, one about 1 X 2” six inches long & one a little smaller 4” long. It was delicious and the sauce was great with it. Both steaks came with a gigantic portion of their frites, French fries that were more like potato chips to me, thin ¼ inch wide strips, mouth smacking good!

When we were about all done Jason surprised me with a two hour cooking class he had booked for me on Saturday here at the Mon Ami Gabi. What a great surprise, after 35 yrs of self taught & watching cooking shows I was finally going to get some proper cooking education! I will post that experience later.

After dinner we went next door to the Sugar Factory for dessert. Pretty pricey, a milkshake was the cheapest at $10! Gavin ordered a cup cake & it was brought out with a lit candle for his 7th birthday.

Saturday evening we went to the Yard House at Red Rock Resort. Jason knew I would like this since they have the world’s largest selection of draft beer, over 130 selections!
The atmosphere is like sports bar, the menu is extensive, from reasonable to expensive. The bar is a sight to see with all the beer taps & the plastic pipes that feed them. We all liked the food, I don’t remember what everyone had. Nancy had chicken garlic pasta. I had Jerk chicken with shrimp stack, which was Jamaican spiced grilled chicken breast with mango zucchini salsa and shrimp enchilada with jack cheese, corn, pasilla peppers, sour cream, tomatillo and red chili sauce. It was a colorful plating & just delicious.

I would recommend both places. Mon Ami Gabi is a little more pricey and you can choose relaxed dinning on the patio or a little more elegant inside. Yard House is sports bar atmosphere, offers patio or indoor seating and the food is great.

I didn't have my camera at the Mon Ami Gabi, sometimes it is nicer to not be clicking photos & just enjoy. Here are some of the Yard House.


Bar & beer feed tubes


A few of the taps


Jerk Chicken & Shrimp Stack



Patio at the Mon Ami Gabi


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment