Thursday, May 5, 2016

Rockin Rollin Meatloaf Sandwich

May 04 2016

I found this recipe from Chef John Folse and was anxious to try it. It was a jelly roll style meatloaf with marinara sauce on top. He baked it in the oven with the sauce over top. I adapted it to do mine on the Traeger pellet smoker.

I made up the meatloaf and then in the fridge for a few hours before smoking. I decided to just do the meatloaf on the smoker; make up the sauce to add to the sandwich. I made up the sauce early too and had it ready to reheat.

My side would be salt vinegar roasted baby red potatoes. I sliced up about 2 lbs. of baby red potatoes, and cut in halves or quarters for equal size pieces. They went into a sauce pan with 1 cup of white vinegar, 1 Tbs. kosher salt, covered with water and boiled about 15 minutes. Then they were drained and tossed with about 3 Tbs. butter and sprinkled with kosher salt. I did them in a wire basket on my smoker along with the meatloaf for about 45 minutes. I think they would have been better at a higher temp. like 400 deg. for 20 minutes, but this made it easier to cook and serve.

I did my meatloaf on a perforated round pan and it’s a good thing I did, it sprang a leak and I lost about half the cheese from leaking out. When done I let it set about 5 minutes before slicing to make the sandwiches.

While the meatloaf was cooking I had toasted the buns on my CI griddle and had the sauce heating up. I served my wife then made mine up. I sliced the meatloaf from the end I figured had some cheese left in it and it did.

Chef John compared this to a sloppy Joe, which didn’t seem proper to me until after I ate it! It is almost like eating a super Sloppy Joe with extra taste! We both added a little malt vinegar to our potatoes and enjoyed them with the sandwiches!

Click Here for printable meatloaf recipe

For the meatloaf
















Rolled out














Top cut open














Cheese added














Rolled up














Ready to chill in the fridge














Making the sauce


















Potatoes















Meatloaf ready for the smoker


Added potatoes after 45 minutes














Done 1 hour 35 minutes














Resting














Finished potatoes














Meatloaf sliced














Making my sandwich














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment