Sunday, May 15, 2016

Chicken & Sugo Marinara over Spaghetti

May 14 2016

My grandson tilled, by hand, my little 8X10 garden Friday and I planted 9 tomato plants. I thought frost was over with lows of 39 for the week-end. Then it changed to a low of 35 and possible frost. I covered them with buckets for the night.

The cold weather has dampened my cooking out plans too; it was a cold 50 today. I was going to use the gas grill for tonight’s supper but decided to do it inside and keep warm!

I had a frozen chicken breast thawed; almost a pound and just right for the wife and me. I had some Ilvento’s Sugo Marinara sauce to use and would have it over spaghetti. We would have a simple Romaine heart salad and a toasted English muffin with butter and Penzey’s Sandwich sprinkle, which is a garlic herb seasoning.

I pounded out the chicken breast so it was equal thickness and cut into 3 pieces. I wet with some red wine vinegar and seasoned with the Penzey’s Sandwich sprinkle. I covered and it went in the fridge for
1 ½ hours before cooking.

I diced a small sweet onion, 2 cloves of garlic and about 5 oz. of baby bella mushrooms. I heated up my CI skillet with some grape seed oil on med. high and browned the breasts for 4 minute son each side and removed from the pan.

I sautéed the onions and garlic and then added some beer to deglaze the pan. You could use water instead of beer but just enough to deglaze with. I added in the mushrooms and let them cook down some. I then added the chicken and poured the sauce over. I covered the skillet and turned the heat down to med. low and let simmer while I got the pasta ready to cook. It cooked with lid on 20 minutes then lid off for another 15 minutes.

I got the spaghetti cooked, drained and then back in the pot with two Tbs. of butter. I toasted the muffins and then served, pasta then covered with sauce, a chicken piece, and topped with some grated parmesan and Romano cheese.

The wife and I thought this was extra good; the chicken was tender and moist. I thought the sauce was the best marinara I ever had, bought or any I have made.


Not sure what makes it sugo marinara but a couple places said it was Sicilian red sauce. The Ilvento’s is the last of 4 jars of their different sauces my wife bought me for Christmas. I can’t buy it around here. Here is the list of ingredients; Tomatoes, Basil, Garlic, Parsley, Oregano, Crushed Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Salt, Extra Virgin Olive Oil. There was a recipe at Epicurious.com that I think might be close so I will try to make my own.

Some ingredients














Browning the chicken














Sauteeing the onions














Deglazing the skillet














Mushrooms added














Chicken and sauce added














Done and ready to serve














My salad














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment