Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Simple Pot Roast

Nov 16 2013

I needed a simple supper for Sat. evening so this crockpot beef pot roast worked well for me. I needed to install a new blower fan in my Traeger and mulch up some of the leaves in my yard. It was a nice day about 60 deg.

I followed Pioneer Woman’s recipe pretty close. She did hers in the oven and I did mine in the crockpot for about 8 hours on low. With just a beef chuck roast, carrots, celery, onions beef broth and a little salt and pepper it makes a fine meal. Add some mashed potatoes and rolls or bread and butter and you have a comforting meal. Homemade mashed potatoes are better but as a time saver I used some Bob Evans and toasted some garlic knots in the oven.

I browned the onions and carrots in some olive oil then seared the roast and in the Crockpot with two stalks of celery. I deglazed the skillet with some light beer, ¾ cup, and in the pot, you could use some wine or if you don’t want to use alcohol use beef broth. I added some beef broth to almost cover the roast. I turned on high for about a half hour then down to low.

I got the new fan in the Traeger, changed the pellets out to some 100 % apple wood and recharged, ready to do some apple wood bacon Sandman gave me. I got my leaves mulched and then some rest before supper time.

An hour before supper I took the roast out to remove the fat, had to use a slotted spoon, it fell apart.

I added the meat back and turned to high. I added slurry of a tablespoon of flour and a little water, and a tablespoon of kitchen bouquet the last half hour. Kitchen bouquet is a browning and seasoning sauce for meat, gravy and stews. I skimmed some fat off the top and then I toasted the garlic knots in the oven, nuked the mashed potatoes and served it up. That hit the spot; I was hungry for some good beef and gravy!

Ingredients














Browning the onions














Browning the carrots














Searing the beef














Deglazing the skillet














All in the pot














After seven hours














Ready to serve














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment