Monday, November 25, 2013

Mild Pork Posole

Nov 24 2013

Posole actually means foamy but most have come to know it as a Mexican stew usually made with pork or chicken, hominy, peppers and seasoning.

With it not getting out of the 20’s all week-end called for some soup for Sunday’s supper. I had pulled pork left over and thought hominy. I knew a traditional posole soup would be too spicy for the wife so I came up with this mild version. I added some heat to mine at the table.

After lunch I made some cornbread baked in my old Wapak cast iron skillet. You can mix up your own but for convenience any more I use Miracle Maize sweet box mix. The box says bake at 400 deg. but I find 380 deg. for 25 minutes is just right for me. I pre-heat my skillet with a good teaspoon of bacon grease while the oven is heating. I mix up the batter, pour the excess grease from the skillet and pour the batter in and bake. When I check it and the top is starting to crack and the edges are a nice golden brown, pulling from the sides of the skillet it is done. I let it cool 5 to 10 minutes then invert into a dish to serve; that shows the nicely brown bottom.


It only took an hour to throw the soup together. It came out a lot better than I thought. The wife not being a big soup person thought it was extra good too. I added some Cajun seasoning and hot sauce to mine. It tasted great with buttered cornbread.

Printable Posole Recipe

Cornbread














Inverted to serve














Posole ingredients














Ready to serve














My Posole


No comments:

Post a Comment