Monday, October 15, 2012

Stuffed Italian Meatloaf

Sat. Oct 13th
Today was a mild fall day, good for cooking out. I had a recipe for a stuffed Italian meatloaf I followed, changed some ingredients and added some and changed the baking process to do on my smoker.

After mixing up the meatloaf I formed it into a rectangle on a baking sheet. I left the center third, which was the bottom, a little thicker. I used 6 slices each of ham and provolone laid two thick down the center. I had a little trouble folding over the outer edges. Using a gallon bag to form like you make a stuffed fatty may work better.

It went in the fridge until ready to smoke. I got to wondering how I would get it from the cookie sheet onto the perforated stainless grill sheet and keeping it in one piece. A thin plastic cutting sheet worked well. I sprayed it with a little cooking spray and it slid under easily and then lifted it onto the grill sheet.

I got it on the smoker then peeled 3 potatoes and 2 carrots, cut up. I precooked them, boiled 5 minutes. I placed them in a wire basked, sprayed with some olive oil and seasoned with Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle; we use it as an all purpose seasoning.

The meatloaf had been on a half hour when I put the potatoes & carrots on. At 45 minutes I started easing the temp up to 275 deg. At 1 1/2 hours the veggies were done so pulled them and went to 300 deg. At 2 hours I went to 325 deg and was at 155 IT in another 15 minutes; so I pulled the meatloaf. I tented it with foil for 20 minutes; then cut in half and in the fridge. I would reheat it for our supper.

Meatloaf was great, moist and slight smoke taste. I had a slice of ciabata bread with a little butter with mine. I used 80/20 mix hamburger and fresh Italian sausage from my butcher. One link of sausage was enough for the meatloaf so threw the other on for a snack. The wife & I finished it off quickly.

Today was my d-i-l’s birthday and tomorrow is the grandsons. We are going down for a little party tomorrow afternoon. I will give the smoker a rest tomorrow. Bacon, eggs, and Carolina stone ground yellow grits for brunch then I am making a batch of quinoa veggie chili for my daughter in law.

Printable Meatloaf Recipe

Ingredients


Peppers, onions and garlic


Meatloaf mixed


Adding the ham and cheese


Meatloaf formed


Ready for the smoker


Potatoes and carrots added


Potatoes are done


Meatloaf and snack are done


Meatloaf sliced


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment