Monday, October 22, 2012

Pork Back Ribs in Parchment Paper

Oct 20 2012

Thursday when I went to The Beer & Wine Depot, Sandman asked if I wanted some back ribs. They were some frozen bone in loins he got a good buy on and he trimmed out the loins from and had some back bones attached. He asked how many I wanted! I said two and he wouldn’t take anything for them. Free meat, thanks much Sandman!

They fit an idea I had to use my Amazin tube smoker on; to see if I thought it added more smoke taste and wrap one to compare wrapped against unwrapped. Even though Sandman would give me butcher paper I had an idea to use parchment paper. I thought it would be a less costly way than buying a large roll of butcher paper and would benefit fellow pelletheads that wanted to try butcher paper. Well that part didn’t pan out; the parchment paper is not porous so it was more like wrapping in foil. It may be cheaper than using foil if anyone wants to check it out.

I did my ribs my favorite way, wet down w/red wine vinegar and rub with Penzey’s Galena Street rub. I thought I would be able to tell if I got more smoke taste with the tube smoker. I prepared the ribs Friday evening and in the fridge overnight.

My wife was going out with her girlfriends to eat and then to a concert. She does not coordinate her plans with my cooking plans. Here I was cooking for five for six months then down to two the past several weeks and I think this is the third time I have done a big cook and ate alone! I don’t think I can eat two racks of ribs!

I did the ribs this afternoon. 1 hour on smoke about 180 deg., 1 ½ hours at 225 deg., 1 ½ hours with one wrapped 225 deg., unwrapped and 1 more hour at 225 deg. A total cook time of 5 hours.

I had some ring bologna from my butcher. I scored it about 1 inch apart and stuffed in a slice of garlic the rubbed in some Cajun seasoning. It would make a good snack. I did it for the one hour smoke and another hour. I had half gone by the time the ribs were done!

I did an onion stuffed with beef bouillon granules, butter and a clove of garlic. To prepare the onion use a med. to large sweet onion, cut just enough root off to set flat, cut the top off. Leave some of the outer skin, cut a cone shape from the center, slice outward down through all but the outer layer several cuts around the onion, add ½ teaspoon beef bouillon granules, press a pat of butter in, press a smashed garlic clove in the butter, then sprinkle some more beef granules on top. I put it on along with three sweet potatoes wrapped in foil the last two hours.

My supper was great, and I really didn’t mind I didn’t have anyone to share it with! Did I get more smoke taste with the tube smoker, I think so. Was the wrapped better than the unwrapped, I think just a little more moist and tender; but not absolute sure. They were both good and bottom line is I don’t think I would make a good BBQ Competition Judge! I had some good bread and butter too, the sweet potatoes were good with the ribs and the onion was the best I have done, a good combo of flavors.

Ribs ready to smoke


Bologna ready to smoke


On the smoker


Onion prepared


My snack is done


One rack wrapped


Potatoes and onion added


Rack unwrapped then back on


About done


The onion


Ribs are done


Some from both racks to try


My Plate


Smokin Don




No comments:

Post a Comment