Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Brunswick Stew and Smoked Korean Crackers

The past week-end was busy for me. In between cooking I was trying to keep tabs on the pellethead BBQ team, on live video, competing at the American Royal in Kansas City, the largest in the world. They finished in the top third overall and had a third place in ribs.

The rest of us pelletheads on the home front were cooking a lot of comfort food with the cooler fall weather starting. We have had frost here in Ohio the last three mornings getting down close to freezing.

The other day when measuring out Korean red pepper flakes I thought I have to try this in my Cajun crackers. Yesterday I mixed up two sleeves of crackers and soaked them over night in 3/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 package Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix and a good Tbs. of the Korean red pepper flakes. This am I smoked them to have with some Brunswick stew. The smoked Korean crackers came out with a very mild heat. I thought they would be hot but the US red pepper flakes are a lot hotter.

My wife liked the Korean better, our d-i-l said maybe a little better but she liked the Cajun too. To me the Korean flakes are complex. Eating Kimchi cold they are very hot to me, in a sandwich it becomes mild and on the crackers they are subtle.

I mowed grass then about 3:30 I started my Brunswick stew. The stew can be made with
squirrel, rabbit, chicken, pork or beef. Fellow pellethead, charray made some and his recipe is very close to the one I used. I had already saved one from my favorite southern cook Mary, at Deep South Dish blog. He had some Cajun crackers with his.

I used 3 slices of Kahs bacon for the stew; I had 4 slices left from a ½ pound. In between sautéing and simmering the stew I cooked the 4 slices of bacon on the smoker to use on top of the stew. Mary called for a cup of smoky BBQ sauce, I used ½ cup of Kahs which is sweet & tangy with just a touch of heat. Tasting mine at the end seemed a little sweet so I added a Tbs. of cider vinegar, could have used two.

The stew hit the spot on a cool fall day, my wife liked it and the Korean crackers were a compliment to it.

Link to Mary's recipe

Printable cracker recipe

Olive oil with seasonings


Crackers w/oil


After setting overnight


On my smoker, 1 1/2 hours at 170 deg.


The stew ingredients


Peppers, onions, celery and diced bacon


Bacon and veggies simmering


1/4 inch diced potatoes


Stews ready


My Bowl and Smoked Korean Crackers


Smokin Don






No comments:

Post a Comment