Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mary's Buttermilk and Sourcream Cornbread

If you like southern cooking and you haven’t been to Mary’s “Deep South Dish” get over there. This gal knows how to cook southern. Everything from how to make a roux several ways, to meats, soups stews, gumbos and desserts; her recipes are great. If I wanted to cook southern I used to go to Paula Deen at food network; but ever since I lucked across Mary’s blog that’s where I go for recipes and ideas.

One of her latest creations Buttermilk sour cream cornbread is delicious. This is cornbread with an attitude! I used her basic recipe and added per her recommendation, a mild Mexican style by adding a cup of shredded cheese and a 4 oz. can of chopped green chilies. I like DelMonte’s cream style corn and used up some shredded cheese from two kinds and some Mexican style.

In my opinion the 3 Tbs. of bacon grease really makes it taste great. If you are vegan and don’t want the bacon grease at least add 3 Tbs. of butter.

I did mine in a cast iron skillet and baked at 440 deg. I checked it at 20 minutes and did another 5 minutes when the edges were getting brown and the top was splitting in several place. I let it cool awhile then the wife and I both had a piece while still warm with butter on top. We both thought it was great! Our grandson ate a piece when he got home from school. I saved two pieces for my Mother and gave two pieces to our daughter in law to take home. There’s just two pieces left to enjoy!

Below are a couple photos of this great cornbread; thanks for sharing the recipe Mary!

Link to Mary's recipe


Mary's Cornbread


A slice of goodness!


Smokin Don

1 comment:

  1. Thank you SO much for such a wonderful post!! I'm thrilled y'all enjoyed the cornbread - sure looks good!!

    ReplyDelete