Monday, October 8, 2012

Pulled Pork Sandwich w/Kimchi and a potato side

This was my Saturday supper using my cider injected butcher paper wrapped pork butt. I am getting behind in my posts. I was used to cooking for 5 and since the kids moved out, just over a week ago, this is my second cook just for myself. My wife went out to eat with girl friends then to see the Lennon Sisters, so I was home alone!

I fixed some cheese and caramelized onion scalloped potatoes, I concocted from several recipes. Basically it was about 2 lbs of russet potatoes peeled and sliced thin. I caramelized two thinly sliced onions in butter until just turning brown. Layerd half the potatoes in a buttered dish, sprinkled some Wondra flour. Spread half the onions over, then 4 oz. of shredded Colby jack cheese over that. Then a ¼ cup of buttermilk poured over. I repeated the layer and poured ½ cup buttermilk over the top. In a 365 deg. oven covered for 45 min. removed the lid and baked another 30 minutes.

I toasted my COWB, cheap ole white bun, in a skillet w/olive oil. Added a good portion of my reheated pulled pork and topped it with some of my home made Kimchi. I also heated some Freshlike canned small red beets for a side w/butter and salt. I find the Freshlike brand about as good as doing fresh beets and much easier to prepare. The older you get the more you look for shortcuts!

My sandwich hit the spot, loved that Kimchi on top. I didn’t notice the heat from the Kimchi being as hot as eating it plain. The potatoes & beets were good with it.


Caramelizing the onions


Layering the first layer of potatoes


Second layer added and ready to bake


Potatoes are done


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment