Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mary's Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup

Oct 30 2012

The past week end was cold, damp and windy. I had been going to buy a whole pork loin and do a couple of different cooks I want to try. Sunday I had been to Mary’s blog “Deep South Dish” and saved a great looking recipe Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup, I had to try this sometime. Monday we got winds; 30 mph steady and +50 mph gusts thanks to hurricane Sandy. Monday evening I decided to make the soup for Tuesday’s supper.

This morning I woke up to a snow covered yard. I went to the grocery and bought the stuff to make the soup, they had some half turkey breasts so I got one to do along with the chicken for the soup. I had planned to do up one and vacuum seal some for my grandsons school lunches. I got it in a brine of ½ gal. water, 1/3 cup kosher salt, a scant ¼ cup of sugar and 3 Tbs. molasses. I could leave it marinate for 2 ½ hours and get it on an hour after starting the chicken.

I spatchcocked the chicken, put a pat of butter under each breast skin, seasoned with a little Lawry’s seasoning salt and got it on the smoker at 12:00 noon. I started on smoke mode then eased up to 325 deg. after 15 minutes to do to an IT of 180 deg. breast temp. My smoke deck was keeping the wind off but I was bundled up pretty good. I was thinking about all those people who didn’t have power from the storm and may have to endure a week or more without it. I was glad we didn’t lose power and could enjoy some warming soup for supper!

I rinsed the turkey breast and seasoned with seasoning salt: I got it on at 1:00. At 1:30 the chicken was done so I let it cool. About 2:30 I pulled the meat from the breast and one leg quarter for the soup. I kept tabs on the turkey breast and pulled it at an IT of 180 deg. I tented it with foil and let cool. It went in the fridge; I will slice it up tomorrow. I had brushed it once with butter and molasses.

When my daughter in law & grandson stopped in at 3:00 after school I had started making the soup. I followed Mary’s recipe pretty close, I used smoked paprika instead of sweet. I assembled mine a little different. I sautéed the onions and garlic in the butter, added the meat and seasoning, heated through then added the flour and then the chicken broth and milks. For soups and stews I like to season the meat. I had it done by 4:00 and gave a big bowl to my daughter in law to take home.

I left the soup on low and the wife and I ate about 5:30. We both loved it, great flavor! I put some white tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl and ladled the soup over. On top of that went some crushed smoked Korean crackers and some shredded Fiesta style cheese. I had some smoked Korean crackers on the side. It sure hit the spot.

Thanks for the recipe Mary, it’s a keeper, and I will have to stay away from your blog if I ever want to get my pork loins done!

Soup ingredients


Chicken and turkey on the smoker


Chicken done


Turkey breast done


Seasoning for the soup, gray salt, cumin, onion powder, smoked paprika and chili powder.


Onions, garlic, chicken and seasonings simmering


Soups on


My supper


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment