Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th and some chickens to eat!

Every since we have lived in Wapakoneta, OH the 4th celebration has been going to the St. Josephs picnic held at the county fairground. Rides for the kids, plenty of food tents, bingo, show down poker, a polka tent, craftwork, donated & sold by the church ladies, and beer. Then they always have a great fireworks display on the 4th at 11:00 pm.

They used to sell beer, in bottles iced down in animal watering tanks and you could walk around with it. After some rowdy events they now have a separate fenced in area you have to go to and the beer is on draft. We used to go out with the kids for supper and stay until the fireworks were over. I used to enjoy playing showdown poker and being able to get an ice cold beer when I wanted. The wife played bingo and visited, while the kids played.

After the food choices got larger, our routine was to stop and get the wife a lemonade shake up, then to get some good greasy fair fries topped with malt vinegar, then to the Red Barn where the FFA sells whole hog sausage sandwiches. Then we set at picnic tables to enjoy all. I think tomorrow it will be too hot for ole grampa to go. If the wife & kids go they will have to bring me a sausage sandwich.

I bought two chickens today, managers special for less than $4! I would use one for pulled BBQ and make chicken salad with the other. I got them spatchcocked and in brine for 4 hrs. I rinsed & dried them a little salt & pepper and put a pat of butter under each breast.

First I smoked a batch of Cajun crackers then got the chickens on smoke mode for about 40 minutes then went to 300 deg. to finish to an IT of 182 deg. about 2 ½ hours total. I basted a couple times with butter and added my apple butter sauce to one near the end.

One went in the fridge for making chicken salad tomorrow and I pulled the other. It went into a Crockpot with the sauce to heat for the sandwiches. I added a slice of provolone & under the broiler to melt for our sandwiches and grilled some romaine splashed with ELOO, red wine pomegranate vinegar & salt & pepper,

Hope all have a safe Holiday!

Printable Sauce Recipe.
I used the variation

Chickens


Here you can see the butter pats under the breasts


On the smoker


Ready to prepare


Making the sandwiches


My plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment