Friday, July 20, 2012

English Chuck for loose meat sandwiches

Our daughter will be here this week-end to visit & celebrate her birthday. I decided to do up some chuck roast and grind it for loose meat sandwiches. Loose meat sandwiches were made popular in Iowa and one called Maid-Rite is popular, served with a slice of cheese on top. I have never seen them in a restaurant in Ohio.

I went to my butchers Wednesday to get the beef and he had two English cut chuck roasts. A regular chuck would be a little cheaper but I just can’t resist that cut or beef. I think of all the flavor you get from the attached rib bones & meat.

I got it ready Thursday morning to smoke. I would smoke it for an hour then go to 225 deg. until an IT of 160 deg. Then in a roaster pan on top of sliced onions, a Yuengling beer and a cup of water w/a heaping tsp. of better than beef bullion added for broth. Then covered with foil and cooked until 200 deg. IT. The roast was seasoned with some, coarse gray salt, seasoned pepper, and dried garlic flakes.

I got the roast on at 8 am and it was done at 1:30 for a total of 5 ½ hours. I let it set covered for one hour, then saved the onions, used a gravy separator to pour off the fat and the meat went in the fridge to cool. After it cooled I ground it and the onions in my meat grinder w/coarse die. Tomorrow night it will go in a Crockpot with some of the au jus and heated for sandwiches. The roast was 4 ¾ lbs. and I got 2 ¾ lbs. of ground meat.

We got some much needed rain Thurs. & Fri. a little over ½ inch. I dropped the canvas on the north side of my smoke deck and stayed dry smoking!

Seasoned Roast


Onions and broth


At 160 deg. IT


Ready to foil and finish


All done



















Some good sandwich meat


Smokin Don



Update: My sandwiches and supper Friday evening.

My d-i-l came home from work about 3 pm and my daughter arrived from Chicago a little later. My son came home from school in Columbus at 5 pm. I had supper ready & waiting for all. My grandson’s friend from across the street stayed to eat too.

I had my loose meat beef in a Crockpot. For sides we had some local made potato salad, and some Bush’s grillin beans. Earlier today I also marinated some tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions to have too; the tomatoes were from my garden.

The loose meat sandwiches were served on a COWB, cheap ole white bun. It was too hard to hold and eat without falling apart so it was a fork & knife sandwich; tasted great! It would be easier to eat served on a hard crust bun.


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment