Sunday, July 22, 2012

Smoked Old Fashioned Bung Bologna

Boar & More was a meat packing plant here in Wapakoneta, OH. I remember my uncle, who had a slaughter house & grocery, used to get his smoked hams from there; this was back in the 1950’s. They were still in business when we moved here in 1973. They bought their meat from a large stock yard that had weekly auctions. I am not sure when but I think it was shortly after we moved here both businesses closed up.

Kah’s original butcher shop was down town but moved to its present location near the Boar & More plant sometime before Boar & More closed. The owner of Boar & More knew Dick Kah liked their old fashioned bung bologna so he gave him the recipe when they closed up.

Dick is now deceased but his sons & family continue running Kah Meats. They still make the bung bologna, the best I can buy. They had not made any for awhile but I seen they had some the other day. I went in Saturday and bought a chunk, just under 3 lbs.

I cut 3 thick slices for fried bologna. The rest I cut half into 1 inch chunks & seasoned with Penzey’s rib rub & the other half I sliced half way through, crisscrossed and seasoned with some Dijon mustard and Cajun seasoning.

I smoked both at 170 deg. for 1 ½ hours the went to 225 deg. In a half hour I pulled the cut up and did the chunk another ½ hour. Both were tasty and will make some good snacks with some aged cheddar and my smoked Cajun crackers.

Kah's bologna, dutch loaf, and pizza loaf


Seasoned and ready to smoke


After 1 1/2 hrs. on smoke


At 225 deg.


Chunk is done


Ready to snack on


Smokin Don

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in Lima, Ohio and bought B&M Bologna up until the mid to late 90's. It was without a doubt, the best Old Fashioned Bologna on the planet. Walters Meats next door also makes a very good product, and I know that family quite well. Joe was a great friend and just passed away recently.
    I am experimenting with my own homemade recipe now, but need some help in terms of what temps and how long to smoke on a Traeger. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think my dad may have the B&M Bologna recipe from a guy who worked there and made the bologna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it is great bologna! I will have to give Walters bologna a try. I have just smoked it on my Traeger in different cuts and made it like burnt ends that was good. I smoked it, cut in chunks for 1 1/2 hours then added it to a foil pan, added BBQ sauce and set the temp to about 300 until nice and brown! Don

      Delete