Friday, November 20, 2015

Turkish Meatballs w/Red Cabbage Slaw

Nov 19 2015

I was glad the day turned out pretty nice for doing the meatballs out in the smoker. I made up the meatballs early using the gift of Turkish spices, Kofte Bahari (mixed spices), Pul Biber (red pepper) and Kisnis (Coriander). I set the bowl in the fridge for a little over an hour to let all the flavors meld.

Turkish meatballs I think are typically made with ground lamb but the recipe I adapted had substituted ground beef. I wanted to mix in some ground lamb but could not find any so I used some ground pork sausage. After the meat mix had set I made up the meat balls and covered with plastic wrap and they set in the fridge about 3 hours before smoking. I got 13 meatballs from the pound of meat.

The meatballs are usually served with flat bread or pita bread. I found some mini Indian naan bread that looked perfect to use. Red cabbage is a good side, either as a slaw or cooked. I used a recipe by Bobby Flay from food network that looked good, it had orange and lime juice, olive oil, garlic and onion pureed for a dressing.  I made up the slaw a couple hours before cooking. For another side I nuked some cauliflower and then browned it in a skillet with butter.

 I had my Traeger heated to 200 deg. about 215 deg. grill level when I put the meatballs on. After 35 minutes I eased the temp up to 315 deg. grill level. They cooked a total of an hour 15 minutes and were done at 6:00 PM. I checked about 10 minutes before and they were at 156 deg. IT so went inside and nuked the cauliflower for 2 minutes then in a skillet with some butter to brown a little.

I brought the meatballs inside in a covered dish while the cauliflower finished browning. I served the meatballs on the naan bread topped with some garlic yogurt sauce and parsley for garnish. I served the slaw and cauliflower on the side.

I had a little salt and fresh ground pepper over all of mine. The wife and I both thought it was pretty good!

Click Here for printable meatball recipe
Click Here for link to slaw recipe

For the meatballs














Mixed up














Meatballs made














For the yogurt sauce














For the slaw dressing














Slaw made














Meatballs about done














My Supper

No comments:

Post a Comment