Monday, November 9, 2015

Meatloaf Stuffed Sausage Fatty

Nov 04 2015

Back to normal November weather here, it was 74 two days ago and only 52 today. We had nice sunshine all day though. I had bought a pound each of ground chuck and sausage; I planned on a meatloaf. Wanting to fix a different meatloaf I thought why not just roll the sausage out as I would for a fatty and stuff it with meatloaf.

After having my bacon and mac slider for lunch I rolled the pound of sausage out in a gallon plastic bag and in the fridge. The meat loaf was:
1 pound of ground chuck
2 slices of onion diced, 3 cloves of garlic minced, 1/3 cup each of small diced carrots and celery; all sautéed in a little olive oil and then cooled
1 egg with 2 Tbs. half and half beaten
¼ cup Heinz chili sauce
7 or 8 saltine crackers crushed
Salt and pepper
I mixed this all together and then stuffed into my fatty stuffer and in the fridge to cool and set up some for a couple of hours. I only used about half of the meatloaf mix so will make patties out of whats left for later.

My sides were hobo packs; onions, potatoes and carrots for my wife and I made mine with some sliced celery added. I topped them with Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle and two pats of butter. All was folded in foil and a hole punched in the top with a toothpick.

Making up the fatty I cut the top out of the plastic bag with the sausage in. I laid 2 slices of American cheese on top in the middle. I extruded the meatloaf from the stuffer on the cheese. I had to cut a ½ inch off so I had an inch of space on each end to fold the ends closed and seal. I folded half the sausage, using the plastic to help, over the meatloaf then peeled off the plastic and then did the same with the other half. I wet my hands with cold water and sealed the seam and folded the ends in. I turned it over seam side down so the cheese would be on top. This went back in the fridge about 45 minutes before cooking. I added some Penzey’s Cajun seasoning to the top before smoking.

I preheated the Traeger to about 200 deg. grill level. I used my frog mat, sprayed it with some olive oil and added the fatty and then added the hobo packs. After 40 minutes I went to 275-280deg. grill level. I left it there for a half hour and having inserted a temp probe in the fatty I went to 300 deg. for the last 15 or so minutes to get the fatty to 160 deg. IT. Total cook time was just over 1 & ½ hours. I learned one thing to not do with a fatty and that is to insert the temp probe from the end; when I pulled it out a lot of liquid and cheese squirted out. The next time I will insert it from the top down to the center.


I served the wife and me both two slices of the fatty and our hobo packs. We both liked it and will do this one again. I had a good Ballantine IPA to wash mine down; the only thing missing was some good bread and butter!















Veggies for the meatloaf














Meatloaf on the sausage and cheese














Rolling it up














Ready for the smoker














My hobo pack














On the smoker














Ready to serve














My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment