Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Simmered BBQ Chicken over Rice














Oct 01 2013

I had a split friar I wanted to fix tonight and wanted to do it a little different. I remember eating some at the National Black Powder Shoot in Friendship, Indiana back in the 80’s. A guy had two pots set up on gas burners; one with water and one with BBQ sauce. He was selling half chickens as fast as he could; transferring them from the water to the sauce. They were fall off the bone and good!

After reading several recipes I came up with this for my Traeger. I cut up the chicken into eight pieces, separating the wing and wishbone from the breast. I seasoned them with Penzey’s Galena street rub and in the fridge for about 3 hours before cooking. My BBQ sauce is my favorite from my butcher Kah Meats. It is sweet with a little sour and just a touch of heat.

I put the chicken on at 3:00PM at 225 deg. After 45 minutes I went to 250 deg. for another half hour. I had preheated my Lodge cast iron chicken friar on the stove top. I placed the chicken in the skillet; added about a half a bottle of IPA and poured the sauce over. I would guess I used about 15 oz. of sauce.
I went to 275 deg. for 15 minutes then covered with the lid for the last 1 ½ hours.

For my rice I used a box of Zatarain’s garlic and herb; added a slice of chopped onion and some chopped green pepper. I did it in my rice cooker and was done at 6:00 when the chicken was done. We had a small green salad of mixed Romaine with the last ripe tomato from my garden. I toasted some garlic bread to have too.


I served my wife a breast and I had a wing wishbone and a leg on the rice with some sauce over. The chicken was fall apart tender and the sauce went well with the rice. My wife and I both loved this and I will be using this method again.

Chicken seasoned and ready for the fridge














On the smoker














In the Pot














Ready to serve














My Plate














Fall apart tender

No comments:

Post a Comment