Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Beef Sirloin Steaks and Baked Potatoes















Aug 12, 2013

Last Friday I bought a package of thick cut sirloin steaks at Sam’s club. The 3 larger ones would be good for the wife and I and son and the small one for our grandson. I had trouble getting all together to fix them; too many things going on. So Monday for lunch our son came down and fixed his on my Weber Q100, he did it 4 minutes on a side and looked med. rare. He said it was great.

I had also just bought some Taste 5 Umami Dust. A taste test said it would be great on the steaks. I was going to fix the steaks for my wife, me and the grandson. Our son had to work and his wife would eat a baked potato and a salad. I put the baked potatoes with potato rods in the oven 350 deg. at 5:00 and told the wife we would eat at 6:30. She said can’t we eat at 6:00; our grandson has soccer practice at 7:00. I said ok and turned the oven to 375 deg.

I preheated the Traeger to 375 deg. and did the steaks on grill grates for 5 min. then flipped for another 4 minutes. They looked great, nice grill marks. I served all at 6:10.

The steaks were rare instead of the med. rare I wanted. I should have used a temp probe. After cooking the Umami dust seasoning had lost most of its flavor. I think you need to use your favorite seasoning and use it to enhance. The baked potatoes did not have as crispy a skin as I usually get. The salad was good. It was not a disaster but not my best cook.


About the only positive about this cook was I now know I can sear steaks with great grill marks on my Traeger if using Grill Grates.

The Steaks














Tied and seasoned














Potatoes for the oven














Steaks are ready














My Salad














My Plate














No comments:

Post a Comment