Monday, April 1, 2013

Russian Meat and Cabbage Soup

Mar 29 2013

Before long soups and stews will wait for next fall and winter and we will be cooking summer food. I found this recipe at Saveur and knew I had to try it. I didn’t think I would like the sweet and sour so I left that out, changed some of the ingredients and altered the cooking method to use my Traeger and get some smoke flavor in the meat.

The original recipe can be found at Saveur.com and was called Russian Beef Sweet and Sour Soup.

Last night I mixed up a batch of Cajun crackers and smoked them to go along with my soup. After they were done I smoked the meat for the soup.

I fixed this for myself since my wife was gone but she may like it. I left it pretty mild and will take some to my Mother tomorrow.

It took me about 45 minutes to get everything sautéed and in the stock pot simmering. My wife called and made it to Chicago OK.

I had a bowl for my supper, added some more cracked pepper and some Cholula hot sauce. The Cajun crackers were good with it but the broth was so good I wished I had some good crusty bread for dipping.

Printable Soup Recipe

Ingredients


Korean Crackers


Onions, peppers and celery


Cabbage diced


Meats on the smoker


Bacon browning


Beef diced up


Meats browning


Onion, peppers and celery added


Tomato paste added


Soups On


My Supper





No comments:

Post a Comment