Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pork Chops and Haluski

April 02 2013

Thanks a fellow LTBBQ member for his idea of using cottage cheese for haluski. It would be part of my meal tonight. I had two thick cut pork chops from my butcher, Kah Meats to have with it. Each one weighed just over a pound.

I brined the chops overnight in salt, brown sugar and molasses. At noon today I rinsed them well and dried then in the fridge to air dry. I have had luck with the thick brined chops with doing an hour on smoke then going to 275 to 300 deg. to finish usually another 45 min. to an hour to get to an IT of 160 deg.

Just before I put them on I cut a pocket in each one, inserted a good teaspoon of Ohio pure maple syrup and a slice of bacon. I did just a little coarse salt and pepper on top. I got them on at 4:30 and planned on eating at 6:30.

I wanted to use bacon and some onions in the haluski but since I had been sick I just used olive oil and butter. For my noodles I used some German spaetzel style noodles.

My chops were at 160 IT early so I let them rest awhile and did a 2 minute sear on each side in a cast iron skillet to brown up a little.

It got a little hectic at supper time, my daughter in law came home from work and wanted to stay and try the haluski. Just as I was trying to serve, in pops our son & their dog, he said he already ate. I cut one chop to divide with my wife. I didn’t get a great plate photo. Before we were done in pops the grandson from the neighbors and sat down to some chops and haluski. We had some good crusty bread with it.

Chops were tender and moist with great flavor, next time I will take the time to put a maple syrup glaze on them at the end. My son ended up taking a few bites of the chops and said they were great.

Thanks again Sam I loved the cottage cheese in the haluski, my veggie daughter in law ate two helpings. This is the first night after the stomach flu over the week end that I have not had heart burn. I think the haluski must have a healing effect.

Chops after brine and air dry


Stuffed with bacon and maple syrup


A little coarse salt and pepper on top


After 1 hour of smoke on my Traeger


Cabbage cut up


Spaetzel noodles cooking


Chops about done


Browning in a skillet


Cottage cheese added to the haluski


Chops browned and ready to serve


Too much for me to eat


My Plate minus some chop for my wife


No comments:

Post a Comment