Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pellet Fried Chicken

Apr 12 2013

I have wanted to try a fellow member of LTBBQ, pellet fried chicken recipe. It looked good and sounded good. I bought my favorite chicken, Miller Bros., a whole cut up bird Thursday. I decided I wanted to brine it so got it on just after midnight brining; it would be in the brine just over 12 hours.

My brine was a quart of water, ¼ cup salt and brown sugar, A Tbs. of Penzey’s old world seasoning and some dried garlic. Penzey’s says the seasoning is their answer to Lawry’s with less salt. Hand-mixed from: paprika, salt, sugar, celery, garlic, onion, black pepper, parsley, dill, caraway, turmeric, dill, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, savory, basil, rosemary.

I used the seasoning in the flour mix too and used buttermilk instead of condensed milk. Other than that I used Smokes recipe for the cooking method.

After lunch I made a batch of Red Lobsters cheddar garlic biscuits. I couldn’t taste any garlic, and neither could my daughter in law. From now on I will just make them from Bisquick; I know I will get some garlic taste.

I preheated my Traeger to 350 deg. and would get 375 deg. at grill level. I also used just over a half stick of butter and added veggie oil to cover the bottom of my foil pan. I preheated the pan on the smoker for 10 minutes before adding the chicken. When I turned the chicken it was not over brown so left the temp where it was for the second half hour.

For my sides I used Bob Evens buttermilk red skin mashed potatoes, some peas and some Pioneer brand country gravy; and we had some of the biscuits warmed up.

This all tasted darned good on a cool spring evening. The chicken was tender and moist; I lost some of the good crispies when I turned the chicken but what I had was nice. I think a little bit larger foil pan would have been better and next time I will use my large cast iron skillet. Smokes recipe is a keeper, thanks.

Link to Smokes Recipe

The chicken


In the brine


Prepping the chicken


On the smoker


Ready to serve


My Plate

No comments:

Post a Comment