Friday, April 26, 2013

Lea Perrins Chicken and Buttermilk Chive Potatoes

Apr 25 2013

Lea Perrins marinated chicken with buttermilk and chive potatoes, a Vidalia onion and green beans. It all sounded good to me and I had some nice fresh chives from my garden to use for the potatoes. I wanted to do two breasts for the wife and I. My grocery didn’t have packs of bone in breasts so I bought a whole chicken and would cut my own.

I cut the breast half out of the chicken and was going to save the hind half for later. I had five hours to marinate the breast and decided to brine the rear half; I had room on my pan to do up both halves. I got them in the fridge to set 5 hours.

I had figured on smoking the chicken and Vidalia onion a half hour then another hour to finish. I would put the green beans on for the last 45 min. and put the potatoes on to cook. I was wrong on the chicken it took another 1 ½ to finish. I took the brined rear half out after 4 hours rinsed and air dried in the fridge for an hour.

We didn’t eat until 7:00 but the wait was worth it. I took the green beans out early, covered with foil and on a burner set on low to hold. It didn’t hurt the potatoes to simmer longer. The chicken was moist and tender but I didn’t think the Lea & Perrins marinade was that great; not enough flavor.

The Vidalia onion I cut out a cone from the center, then cut around the onion to make petals and let the goodies in. I spoon in some granulated beef bouillon and top with butter. I cut enough root off just to set flat and leave the skin on. By not wrapping in foil you lose the outer layer anyways.

Buttermilk chive potatoes:

1 ½ to 1 ¾ pounds small redskin potatoes, 1/2 inch dice
1 ½ cups buttermilk
3 Tbs butter
¼ cup chopped chives, save some for garnish
Salt & pepper to taste

Mix all together in a pan and bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and cook 35 to 45 minutes; stirring at times. Serve with some fresh chopped chives for garnish.

Chicken


Vidalia Onion


Getting the potatoes ready


Potatoes On


All on the smoker


My Plate

No comments:

Post a Comment