Monday, April 22, 2013

Meatloaf and CP German Potato Salad

Apr 21 2013

I wanted something easy and slow for our Sunday supper. I thought a meatloaf, Crockpot German potato salad and glazed carrots would fit the bill.

I did some pickled eggs this morning after a couple of fellow members of LTBBQ turned me on to steaming the eggs. The easiest eggs I ever peeled. I got the meatloaf mixed up about 12:30 and in the fridge. I diced up some bacon and browned to add to the potato salad later. I could then have a little beer sippin time until I put the meatloaf in the smoker at 4:00.

For the meatloaf I decided to use my meatball recipe plus about 3 Tbs. Ketchup, a Tbs. mustard and some garlic flakes. I used a pound of ground chuck and a pound of ground round; that may be why it was a little dry. It needed some more liquid.

I preheated the smoker to 250 deg. put the meatloaf on and went to 275 deg. Grill level temp ran close to 300 deg. A little before 5:00 I put the carrots in a skillet almost covered with water; simmered for 10 min., poured off the water and added two pats of butter and some brown sugar to glaze. They went in a wire basket & on the smoker at 5:15. I added the bacon to the potatoes and stirred.

The meatloaf was done at 5:45, 160 deg. IT. I tented with foil while I got the sides ready and on the plates. We had some buttered rye bread with the meal.

It all tasted pretty good, even though the meatloaf was a tad dry. The Crockpot German potato salad I would say just so so but not bad for an easy prep. The carrots are my favorite method lately.

Link to Potato Salad Recipe

Meatloaf ingredients


Ready to mix up


Glazing the carrots


Potato salad is done


Meatloaf and carrots on the smoker


My Plate


No comments:

Post a Comment