Tuesday, February 9, 2016

CP Pickled Beef Tongue

Feb 09 2016

My Mother in law use to make what she called pickled tongue a lot. They always served it cold sliced on crackers. I don’t remember it as having much of a sour taste but like tender roast beef. I wish I had thought to get her recipe and she didn’t have it written down.

I got this tongue from my butcher and it was frozen. After thawing I soaked in some salt water for a half hour then rinsed well before getting it in the Crockpot.

I have made tongue a few times over the years but just slow cooked it in water and seasoning. I searched on pickled tongue recipes; I found one for doing it in a Crockpot that included some vinegar.

1 beef tongue
2 quarts water and more to cover
¼ cup vinegar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
12 whole peppercorns
4 bay leaves

Place all in a Crockpot and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours. Remove tongue and when cool enough take the skin off it should just fall off easily. Mine was in 11 hours and was well done. After I remove the skin I scrape it some and trim out some from the center where the root was; it tends to be a little mushy. I usually just cooled and then sliced. This time I cut about half from the front and wrapped and in the fridge to cool for slicing. The rest I cut into 3 pieces and pulled it. It is pretty stringy so it pulls well.


This is one meat I have trouble tasting as I am preparing; it is not very appetizing to look at. It is best for me to wait until the next day! I just had some of the pulled on saltines with a dab of horseradish for my lunch snack and all I can say is delicious!!!















The tongue














In the Crockpot














Cooling after 11 hours in the Crockpot














For pulling














For slicing














My lunch snack

No comments:

Post a Comment