Monday, May 5, 2014

A batch of Kraut is Done

May 03 2014

It was a busy day today for me. I took the grandson fishing for crappies this morning. Usually I am ready to leave before he is but this time we were getting no bites. After about a half hour he said are you ready to go. I found his real reason was he had just bought a new app for a game and was anxious to go home and play with it!

I got him back home and then went to my butchers for 1 ½ lbs. of ground chuck. We are going over to my Moms tomorrow and I don’t have much food saved for her so wanted to do a meatloaf and take her some.

My sauerkraut had been fermenting 30 days today so it was ready to go into jars. I ended up with 5 quarts plus a small bowl for trying on some brats tonight. The jarred kraut went into the fridge and will have time to get happy for using on some brats next Sat. when a fellow member of Lets Talk BBQ is in the states from South Africa. He is stopping in for a visit and to have supper with me. We’ll be having some snacks, my Cajun smoked crackers and different cheese. For supper we’re having bratwursts with my kraut, kimchi, and potato salad.

After I got my kraut put up I threw a meatloaf together from on hand stuff. I used 1 ½ lbs. ground chuck, a packet of Lipton’s onion soup mix, 1/2 cup salsa, 1 egg, ¼ cup of milk and a couple hands full of Panko bread crumbs. I did it on my Traeger at about 340 deg. grill level and took just over an hour for 164 deg. IT.

For our supper tonight I had some pre-cooked chicken brats with mozzarella and garlic I got from Sam’s club. I did them on my Weber gas grill at 375 deg. 4 minutes on a side. I had some left over rice to have with them. My wife had ketchup and kraut on her brat; don’t know where she got that from brats need mustard!  I had mustard and kraut on mine. The kraut was a good batch and should be better for next Saturday after a week in the fridge!

My Kraut














Meatloaf














My Supper

No comments:

Post a Comment