Wednesday, May 1, 2013

EZ Pastrami and Open faced Rachel Sandwich

Apr 28 2013

This is an easy method to make pastrami. Using a corned beef cuts out the step of curing for four days.
The recipe is from Hub at Lets Talk BBQ forum.

This pastrami started last Thursday when I found some Grobbels corned beef flats on sale for $2.72 a pound. I bought two at just over 2.5 pounds each. I got them rinsed and in water to soak overnight. I changed the water after 12 hours.

I used Hub’s ez pastrami recipe for a guide, his seasoning mix is the best I have found for my taste. For the onion and garlic I use dried flakes instead of powder and I changed the cooking method some.

Friday I rinsed and dried the flats and got them coated with seasoning. I put them in plastic bags to set in the fridge overnight.

Saturday after my grandson’s soccer game I got them on the smoker at 1:00 pm. I had my amazin tube ¾ filled with oak pellets. I did them on smoke @175 deg. for one hour then went to 200 deg. using a lower P#; this would give me 225 deg. at grill level. When they were @ 120 deg. IT I placed them on my enamel pan, I had filed with about an inch of water and the perforated lid on top. I tented them with foil and hoped this would steam them to an IT of 160 deg. I had gone to 225 deg. on the smoker. They were done at 5:20 for a total cook time of 4 hours twenty minutes.

I double wrapped in saran wrap and then foil and into a warm oven to set an hour. I then let cool and in the fridge overnight.

Sunday after lunch I placed them in the freezer for 25 minutes and then sliced it all up as thin as I could. It tasted great and I was snacking as I sliced!

Our supper tonight was open face Rachel sandwiches, I didn’t know that’s what they call a Reuben when using pastrami but that’s what wiki says. I had leftover buttermilk redskin potatoes and green beans for sides.

For the sandwiches I toasted some take home and bake rolls under the broiler, added a little butter, pastrami I had heated in a skillet, some of my homemade sauerkraut I had heated, Thousand Island dressing, and sliced Swiss cheese. I popped them under the broiler to melt the cheese.

Now the sandwiches were good the first Reuben, (Rachel), I can say I really liked. I think the homemade sauerkraut made the difference and the pastrami was the tenderest I have made.

Link to Hub's EZ Pastrami Recipe

Corned beef


Seasoned and ready for the fridge overnight


On the smoker


At 120 deg. IT, ready to cover with foil


Foil covered


Done at 160 deg.IT


Slicing


All sliced up


My Plate

No comments:

Post a Comment