Thursday, May 9, 2013

Kassler mit Kraut

May 08 2013

I made my Kassler ham and kraut today. This was a pretty easy cook. I had sliced the Kassler early today. I found a recipe for this dish at germanfoodguide.com. Most recipes have dry white wine added but this one also had milk. I would never thought of using milk with kraut; I had to try it.

The recipe called for doing this dish on stove top. I decided to use my Crockpot. I decided to do it 1 hour on high then low for about two hours.

I added two pats of butter to the Crockpot and enough chopped onion to cover the bottom. I added six slices of Kassler and topped with about 2 pounds of my homemade kraut. I added ¾ cup each of Riesling wine and milk. I cut back some from the original recipe. The wine was Lucky Duck Riesling rivaner Germany.

I had some red and gold potatoes to use up and added some Idaho’s for about two pounds. Peeled all but left some on the golden potatoes, diced to about 1 ½ inches and boiled for 20 minutes, drained and mashed with a stick of butter and some sour cream. I could reheat these at supper time.

I made some garlic toast and served some cold beats for a side.

I served it all about 6:00 pm. The grandson wanted to eat some pork and kraut. He had two pieces of the meat. Our daughter in law got here and had some of the kraut before they went home. My wife would have liked it sourer, the wine and milk had cut the sour some.

I liked it, the Kassler and homemade kraut makes it extra good. I had some of my homemade German mustard on the meat and the cold beats added nice color to the plate. I was going to have some fried spaetzel noodles too but Wing Commander suggested I drop those. He was right, really didn’t need them. Maybe he will let us know if milk in kraut is typical German.

Wing Commander is a friend and good cook who lives in Germany. We both belong to Lets Talk BBQ forum. He said that milk in kraut is not typical German. It’s nice to have input from someone who knows German cooking. That is the trouble with some cooking sites that say they are ethnic recipes they are really Americanized versions. So if you want to have Kassler mit Kraut and stay typical German omit the milk.

Onions and butter added to the pot


Kassler ham added


Kraut added, then the wine and milk


Mashed potatoes


My Plate

No comments:

Post a Comment