Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Leftover Meat Hash over Rice

Here in the Midwest when you talk hash you think of corned beef hash. I recently watched a BBQ show and Sweatmans in South Carolina was featured. Some great looking BBQ and one of their favorite food served was hash. It was made of different cuts of meat with sauce all cooked down to a thick consistency and served over rice.

It looks like this kind of hash is popular in the south, some cooked with a BBQ type sauce and some with a mustard based sauce. One of the Sweatmans said the recipe for hash changes every 30 miles in S.C.

I had some leftover meats in the freezer I needed to use up. I had about a pound of pulled pork, a pound of beef, ½ pound of chicken, and ¼ pound hunk of my homemade goetta. I ground it all up in my grinder with the coarse die. I chopped a Vidalia onion, sautéed in olive oil, added some dried garlic flakes. I added in the meat and about a quart of beef broth, salt, pepper, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and four dashes of Cholula hot sauce. I brought it to a boil and then a low simmer. It took about two hours to cook it down, stirring often.

It took a little prep but my final meal was quick and easy. I cooked some Zatarains dirty brown rice in my rice cooker, about 45 minutes. I heated up some of the hash and served it over the rice along with some cheese bread and butter. I had some chopped Vidalia onion on mine.

My wife and grandson liked it. The grandson said it’s a little spicy but it’s good. The heat was from the dirty rice. I didn't tell them it had some goetta in it or they might not have liked it. I thought it was pretty good but might like the mustard added.

Meat ground


All cooked down


Ready for the fridge


My Supper My Plate


No comments:

Post a Comment