Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Bacon Wrapped Kassler Ham

May 12 2013

I don’t usually cook for just myself on Mother’s Day but I did this year. Our son took us all out for Mother’s Day on Saturday, a lot less busy. On Mother’s Day we all went to see my 91 year old Mother after lunch and took cake and a pie over to have dessert with her. She gets too nervous for all of us to have a meal with her.

Our son works a second part time job some evenings and had to work on Mother’s Day so our daughter in law and grandson came down to eat supper with us. They all wanted a broccoli pizza from Sandman’s carry out. I wasn’t hungry for pizza so I fixed my own.

I had some of the Kassler ham left so decided on a pablano pepper; sliced in half, a slice of ham, a slice of Swiss cheese, a slice of onion and wrapped in bacon. I made two more with just a slice of ham, a slice of Swiss cheese, folded over and wrapped in bacon. The pepper ones I seasoned with some Penzey’s Cajun, and the plain two with their sandwich sprinkle.

My side was Alexia brand frozen sweet potato fries seasoned with some Lawry’s seasoned salt. That is my favorite brand; I had plain but they also make spicy ones that are pretty good.

I did the peppers on a wire rack in a pan for easy cleanup of any cheese run over. The fries were in a wire basket. I preheated my Traeger to 325 deg. and put the peppers and ham in, twenty minutes later I put the fries in, they had set out for 15 minutes. In another 30 minutes all was done.

That hit the spot for me and everyone else was happy with the broccoli pizza. My daughter in law tasted the fries and said the best she has had and could taste the smoke.

Pepper stack


Ready for the smoker


All done


My Plate

No comments:

Post a Comment