Saturday, March 23, 2013

Spicy German Beer Mustard

Mar 22 2013

I am still on a mustard kick. I found my pickled mustard seeds were better as a topping for snacks and I wanted a slightly hot & spicy mustard for bratwurst. I found this spicy beer mustard at Food & Wine by Chef Jeremy Nolen. It sounded like it was what I wanted.

We are still not back to normal after a month of getting new toilets and floors in two bathrooms and all new carpet. Yesterday I found time to get my mustard seeds, beer and vinegar ready for an overnight soak.

Our son had given us a gift certificate from Red Lobster for Christmas. We had planned to use it for my birthday last month but were too busy getting ready for the bathroom redo. For dinner Thursday night we all went to Red Lobster. We had their lobster artichoke dip for an appetizer. I had a lobster bake that had a lobster tail, shrimp, scallops, and mussels served over linguine with a butter wine sauce. My wife had stuffed tilapia with a lobster sauce over rice. I don’t remember what the kids had. We had a great time.

My wife has been sick all day today. I don’t think it was food poisoning since she didn’t have cramps. It was too much rich food or a touch of the stomach flu, or both. I got my CD cabinet back in my computer room. I have it anchored to the wall since it’s narrow. This afternoon I took time to finish up my mustard.

The recipe called for a good dark German beer, I used Becks. It also called for brown and yellow mustard seeds; all I had was yellow so that would have to do. I cut back on the salt, just a heaping teaspoon instead of two and used Celtic sea salt. I ground some whole allspice and just used a teaspoon.

I mixed a half cup of the beer along with the brown sugar, salt, allspice and turmeric in a small sauce pan. I brought it to a boil and then set aside to cool some. Be careful since it wants to boil over quick.

I mixed all together with the cup of ground mustard and processed it in a food processor. I had to do it in three batches. I pulsed each batch about eight times leaving some of the mustard seeds whole. The finished product was way too thin for me. There might be something you could add to thicken and not alter the taste but I didn’t know what. I just brought it to a slow boil and then simmered until it was the right consistency. I had to stir it almost steady until reduced.

When it cooled I put it in jars. It made about two and a half pints. After tasting I think this is going to be great on brats!

Link to Mustard Recipe


Ingredients


Soaked seeds and mustard powder


Ground allspice, Celtic sea salt and turmeric


Beer and seasonings boiled and cooling


After reducing to thicken


One Pint


No comments:

Post a Comment