Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pickled Mustard Seeds

Mar 20 2013

Mustard is my favorite spread for sandwiches. All the years I have been cooking I don’t know why I never made my own. We had a friend that used to give us a pint of her beer mustard every year for Christmas; and I looked forward to it. The past few weeks we have been moving furniture to the garage, getting all new carpet installed and just now have most moved back and getting back to normal. I didn’t have time to do much cooking but did find time to make this pickled mustard seed.

Mar 17 2013

Browsing recipes while taking a break from moving furniture; I ran across some homemade mustard recipes. I found the recipe at designsponge blog by Ashley English. I had just bought a pound of yellow mustard seeds from Penzey’s and had all the ingredients.

Yesterday, Saturday, my son and wife came over to help move some of the large items to the garage. We had late lunch and I decided I had time to whip up the pickled mustard seeds. I had some organic apple cider vinegar and local raw honey so this will be organic. I mixed the mustard seeds, vinegar and salt to set overnight.

This morning I added the honey and turmeric; heated and simmered for about 20 minutes. I added a few grinds, 6 or 8, of fresh cracked pepper, a mix of red, white, green, and black peppercorns. After it had cooled some I tasted and added a Tbs. of sugar. I put it in a pint jar to save and had a little left over to try for lunch on a sandwich.

It sure is pretty and looks like caviar to me; I guess you could call it mustard caviar.

There are a ton of homemade mustard recipes on the net so I plan to try some more different ones over the summer.

Link to mustard recipes

Ingredients


Simmering vinegar, mustard seeds and salt


Pepper added


Cooling


One pint plus some to sample



After eating some of this on a bratwurst I would prefer a stronger mustard taste. This to me came out pretty mild on the mustard taste with a slight vinegar flavor, I liked the texture of it. I think where it really shines is on top of snacks. Last night for a late night snack I had some of my Cajun crackerswith baby swiss cheese and a dab of the pickled mustard seeds, delicious.

My snack



I just had another snack; Cajun crackers, hard Salami, a slice of Old Crock Australian sharp cheddar with a dab of the mustard seeds. This was good and I think the mustard seeds will get better with age.

My snack tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment