Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My 2nd Beef Tri-Tip

Mar 03 2013

I was getting hungry for some good beef so I bought a tri-tip from my butcher, just under 3 lbs. It was frozen so thawed in the fridge 3 days and seasoned it up to marinate overnight Saturday. My seasoning was a simple Santa Maria style of a tablespoon each, salt, dried garlic flakes, parsley and my pepper was a mix of red white, green, and black peppercorns ground course. I double wrapped in plastic wrap and in the fridge.

This roast looked fattier than my first one and ones I have seen photos of. I trimmed some of the fat cap and some from the meat side. I wanted to do this one at 225 to 250 deg. for the whole cook and sear after reaching an IT of 135 deg.

I fired up my Traeger and on P0 smoke mode it was running at 190 deg. I put the tri-tip on at 3:30 and figured it to be done at 5:30. At 4:00 I went to 225 deg. and it was running a little high, grill temp was about 290 deg. average. At 5:00 it was getting done too quickly so I went back to 180 deg. About 5:15 I put my asparagus bundles on and the roast was at 135 deg. IT at 5:30.

My baked potatoes were done in the oven; I had my Lodge carbon steel skillet ready to sear the roast. I seared it 3 minutes on the meat side then turned it after 2 minutes I removed from the heat and tented it to rest while I got everything ready. I had used a peeler to shred some carrots and sautéed them in some butter. I had a small baguette for bread and butter.

I sliced two slices of the beef for my wife & I; topped one with some of the umami gorgonzola butter and one with some of my chipotle steak sauce. We both had the umami butter on the baked potato too. It all tasted great, we both thought it was delicious. The tri-tip was a nice medium, very tender. I can’t say which I liked the best, the gorgonzola butter or my steak sauce. I thought they were both extra good flavors along with beef and the seasoned crust just added to it.


Roast



Seasoned and ready for the fridge



Asparagus



Carrots



Roast at 135 deg. IT



Sauteing the carrots



Searing the roast



Sliced



My Plate




No comments:

Post a Comment