Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chicken and Noodles over Mashed Potatoes

Jan 25 2013

There is nothing hard about this recipe; just some good ingredients for great comfort food. We have been in a freeze for over a week so this tasted good!

Thursday we were having leftovers for supper so I made up a batch of broth. I had a carcass frozen from when I did the chicken ballotine. I got it in a pot with water to cover, an onion halved, 3 carrots two celery stalks, and some salt & pepper. I brought to a boil then a low boil for an hour and a half. I removed the chicken and veggies. I saved what meat I could from the bones and strained the broth and in the fridge.

There is nothing better than some homemade noodles. Not too long after we were married I told my wife we were making noodles. We got them made but we both had dough up to our elbows. That was the last time we ever made noodles! Over the years I did find Mrs. Reams frozen noodles that are pretty good for bought. Then I found these Waltz’s noodles. They are locally made and are as good as any homemade.

Today I spatchcocked the chicken and placed pats of butter under each breast skin. I fired up the Traeger and got it on easing the temp up to 300 deg. I wasn’t looking for any smoke flavor, just get the chicken cooked. I do it to 175 deg. breast IT. When it was done and cooled some; I saved a breast and pulled the rest for the noodles. The cook also made some chicarones, cracklins, for his treat from the skin.

I love homemade bread and have made a lot over the years. I really like the no knead bread done in a cast iron Dutch oven. The older I get the more I look for shortcuts! I now use take home and bake from the grocery a lot. I did a garlic loaf so we had some warm bread to eat with the chicken and noodles.

I made some mashed potatoes early to reheat for our supper. I got the broth and noodles on a low boil, added two diced carrots and some diced celery, salt and pepper. After 35 minutes I added the chicken and a tablespoon of prepared mustard. I got my bread in and we ate in another 25 minutes.

What more could you ask for; chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes, some warm garlic bread and Kerrygold butter, on a cold winter evening!

Chicken ready to cook


Chickens done


Chicarones, my treat


Shredded chicken


Noodles


Broth and noodles on


Chicken added


Garlic bread


My Plate


No comments:

Post a Comment