Wednesday, January 16, 2013

7 Day Pastrami

Jan 15 2013

The original recipe for this pastrami was by a guy called Habanero Smoker and was adapted some by Walleye1. Ever since I first had pastrami on rye sandwich from the Homestead Florida AFB deli back in 1960; it has been a favorite of mine. I have used a recipe for quick pastrami done from using an already corned beef brisket that was pretty darn good. I think this is my first one done from a beef brisket flat.

My butcher did not have any briskets and all I could find at the grocery was a small 3 ¼ pound one. I would have liked to do a 5 to 7 pound one. I got it coated with the seasoning and cure. One nice thing about this small one I was able to seal it with my Food Saver vacuum sealer for the cure. The recipe said four days was good for a small flat but for a larger one 5 to 7 days was needed. It fit into my cooking schedule to let this one go 5 days. I turned it every day.

Last Sunday I smoked it at 175 deg. for an hour and half then went to 225 deg. It took just over 4 hours for an IT of 155 deg. The recipe said an IT of 160 to 165 deg. but since I would steam or fry it I decided 155 deg. was good. When it cooled enough I wrapped in saran wrap and foil for a two day rest in the fridge.

After lunch today I sliced a few slices by hand to make sure I was slicing across the grain; then finished slicing thin with my slicer. It looked and tasted good. I had some seeded rye bread to use and made my wife a Reuben with sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing. Too bad my homemade sauerkraut was not ready. I had mine my favorite way with mustard and Swiss cheese. I steamed the pastrami in my Aroma cooker.

I found a recipe for some Ohio nachos at Saveur.com and thought it would be great with the sandwiches. You just make an Alfredo sauce from heavy cream and some parmesan; pour that over some Kettle style potato chips; top with some crumbled blue cheese and pop in a 400 deg. oven for 7 to 8 minutes until the cheese is melted then garnish with chives. I used gorgonzola cheese; it’s a little smoother, milder, than blue cheese.

The sandwiches were great and the wife and I loved the Ohio nachos.

Printable Pastrami Recipe

Rubbing the Brisket with seasoning and cure


Both sides done


Vacuum sealed


After the cure, rinsed, seasoned, air dried in the fridge, ready to smoke


Day 7, ready to slice


Slicing thin


Ohio Nachos


My wife's Reuben, I didn't do very good slicing


I did better slicing mine


My plate, pastrami and Ohio Nachos




No comments:

Post a Comment