Sunday, December 2, 2012

Larded Pork Loin

Dec 01 2012

Larding meat is an old method of getting some fat into lean cuts of meat for taste and tenderizing. Slits are cut into the meat and fat inserted or you can use a larding needle. Two types are available now, one has a clip on the end where the needle is inserted into the meat then a string of fat is pulled through; the other type you lay a string of fat in a U shaped needle insert it into the meat then pull it out leaving the fat.

I have laid bacon across a pork loin and many even wrap them in a basket weave of bacon. I don’t know why I never thought of larding one before. I love pork loins for sandwiches. Salt pork, side meat or bacon is used for larding; I decided to use bacon.

I had a pork loin frozen, about 4 lbs. I thawed it out and Friday I was ready to smoke it. I cut the slits in the meat side of the loin so I could smoke it fat cap down. I cut two slits across the loin an inch wide and as deep as I could without going through it. I spaced them about ¾ inches apart the length of the loin. I used partially thawed bacon, this made it easier to stuff in the slits; and left it long enough for some to stick out.

I melted some butter and brushed over the loin, seasoned with some ground fennel, fresh ground pepper and dried garlic flakes. I used a lot of the garlic for a garlicky crust. I tied the loin so it would stay together when cooking.

I put the loin on my Traeger pellet grill on smoke mode 175 deg. for one hour then eased the temp. up to 275 deg. the grill level temp. was running about 300 deg. When the IT of the loin was 120 deg. I went to 300 deg. I pulled the loin when it hit 142 deg. IT. I tented it with foil and a towel for a half hour then let it cool more before putting in the fridge covered. I left it tied.

This evening I untied it and sliced up. I vacuum packed some and froze for later. I browned up a slice for my sandwich on some garlic bread, Lowensenf mustard and Claussen dill pickles. For a side I had some Bush’s grillin beans, smokehouse style; they’re about as good as any I could make and so much easier! I didn’t have to cook for my wife; she went out for a big lunch with girlfriends and was having some chicken and noodle soup I made.

I thought the pork loin was great; as moist and tender as any I have made and the bacon gave it a flavor boost! I will be doing more of these in the future.

Loin with bacon inserted


Seasoned and tied


After an hour on smoke mode


Just about done


After resting


Slicing


Browning a slice for my sandwich


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment