Friday, November 30, 2012

Philippine Grilled Chicken

Nov 29 2012

I recently joined a new forum on homemade sausage making, Wedliny Domowe, which means Homemade Sausage Making in Polish. There is a link under “My Favorite Sites”. Check them out; there is a ton of information there from all over the world. I found the recipe for Kassler Ham there and today’s Philippine chicken cook.

I had two whole fryer chickens to cook and decided to do one for making chicken and noodles and one as Philippine grilled chicken for tonight’s supper. I spatchcocked them both and one went in the brine overnight; it was in for 11 hours.

I cooked down about two cups of the brine to use as a mop sauce but it was too salty for me. I made some from water, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, dried garlic and onion flakes. I had some Zatarain’s yellow rice left for a side and sautéed some thin sliced carrots and green onions. I also had a loaf of take home and bake garlic bread to have.

I inserted a pat of butter under each breast on the chickens, and seasoned the unbrined one with Lawrey’s seasoning salt. They went in the fridge to dry about two hours before smoking.

I got them in my Traeger on smoke mode 175 deg. After 45 minutes I started to ease the temp up in 25 deg. increments until I was at 300 deg. I mopped the one with some melted butter and the brined one with my sauce twice during the cook. I went to 325 deg. for about the last 15 minutes. They were both done after a total of 1 hour 45 minutes.

I tented them with foil and made my carrots and heated up the rice. I did the carrots and onions in a skillet, med. high, in some butter, added about a teaspoon of sugar when they were getting soft then some soy sauce. This took about 10 minutes.

I served my wife a breast and I had a leg and thigh. We both had a slice of the garlic bread and butter.

The chicken was moist and tender, pretty tasty. I liked the carrots done this way, quick and easy to make.

Printable Chicken Recipe

Garlic Bread


Chicken ready to smoke, one seasoned, one brined


Chickens are done


My Plate


Smokin Don


No comments:

Post a Comment