Saturday, December 29, 2012

Italian sausage and turkey meatballs

Dec 28 2012

Thursday I made up a batch of Italian gravy using an old Frugal Gourmet’s recipe. I love that stuff. I only used one cup of red wine instead of two and had two chicken breast bones and two leg quarters to add. I use chicken broth too instead of beef broth. I didn’t take any photos since it is basically mixing all in a pot and simmering two hours.

I decided to have turkey and Italian sausage meatballs to have with it. I made up my recipe, used Kellogg’s corn flake crumbs; because I had some, I usually use bread crumbs. My recipe made 12 meatballs and didn’t look like enough for five. I made four more meatballs from the ¼ pound of turkey sausage I had left for my daughter in law and would heat them separately in sauce for her. She is a veggie but will eat poultry once in a while.

My wife, daughter, daughter in law and grandson went to a movie and did some shopping after on Friday so I told them I would have supper ready at 6:00 pm.

I wanted to brown up the meatballs on my smoker. I got them on at 3:30 and did them on smoke mode 170 to 180 deg. for one hour then went to 300 deg. for another half hour to brown. I had placed toothpicks in the meatballs for my dil. They were done at 5:00 and put them in two separate pans, covered with the Italian gravy. I brought them to a boil then down to low and simmered covered on low.

I made up 5 salads for us and had my water ready to cook the spaghetti when they got home. I had some garlic bread from the grocery bakery to bake and serve with it. I was glad everyone liked my supper. It was pretty good to me. My grandson had his meatballs on the side and ate the spaghetti plain. His eating habits are funny to me sometimes but he will eat a lot of things I could never get my kids to eat.

We were all eating and my wife said “did you take your photo”? I said no so I had seconds, you will see My Plate photo is a little meager since it was my seconds.

Printable meatball recipe

Link to Italian Gravy Recipe

Meatball ingredients


Ready to mix up


Ready for the smoker


Smoked and browned


My Plate, seconds


No comments:

Post a Comment