Saturday, December 8, 2012

Italian Sausage Sledders

Dec 07 2012

No I didn’t mean to say sliders; these sandwiches were not as large as a regular sandwich patty but bigger than a slider. So I am calling them sledders. I never really understood the fad of sliders. Why eat three sliders when a regular sized sandwich would work?

I had some take home and bake dinner rolls to use up and that dictated I make smaller patties than normal. I had a pound and a half of sausage and some Penzey’s Italian sausage seasoning I wanted to try. I tasted it and seemed a little salty; the directions said use a tablespoon for every pound of sausage. I used just over a tablespoon for the 1 ½ pounds. They turned out too salty; otherwise it was a good seasoning. Next time a heaping teaspoon will do.

I spread the sausage out in a dish, added the seasoning and mixed well; then it went in the fridge for several hours. I made up the patties a couple of hours before time to cook; then back in the fridge.

I was having spaghetti squash and a few Ore Ida frozen grillers left to use up. I split the squash in half and removed the seeds. I did them in the oven on a cookie sheet for 1 ½ hours at 350 deg. I place a couple pats of butter and seasoned the squash then place cut side down over the butter. I used Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle; that is my favorite all-purpose seasoning. It has a good garlic taste.

A half hour after I got the squash in the oven I put my sausage patties on the smoker preheated to 275 deg. I had figured an hour at that temp. I sprinkled some crushed red peppers on two patties for me. I put the potatoes on the last 35 minutes. While the sausage was cooking I made some caramelized onions to top the sandwiches. When they were starting to brown I threw in a few sliced green peppers.

After the sausage had been on 45 minutes I checked with a temp probe and they were done so I turned the smoker back to 180 deg. to hold while I baked my buns.

My wife and I both had mustard and the caramelized onions on our sandwiches. I topped our squash with a little more sandwich sprinkle and some shaved parmesan cheese. Other than the sausage being too salty it tasted pretty good.

Sausage patties made


Caramelized onions


Spaghetti Squash


Sausage and potatoes are done


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment