Monday, November 5, 2012

Beer Braised Beef, Smashed Potatoes and Roasted Cauliflower

Nov. 04 2012

I was getting hungry for a good beef roast and some potatoes. Saturday I bought some small Yukon gold potatoes, a head of cauliflower and an arm roast from my butcher. I like chuck roasts but the arm roast has less fat, I picked out one about 2.5 pounds that had a little marbling. I decided to stay inside for this cook and do the roast in my Crockpot. Saturday evening we took the kids & grandson out after his basketball game. We ate at a local Mexican place that has great food.

I used Pioneer Woman’s recipe for the beer braised beef but added about 2 teaspoons of beef bouillon granules and some corn starch at the end to thicken a little. The potatoes were my own method and I used Emeril’s recipe at food net for the roasted cauliflower. I could do both in the oven, same temp and time.

I seared my roast and got it in the crockpot with the sautéed onions & garlic and the beer. I used Yuengling lager for the beer. I got it on before 10:00am so it would have about 8 hours to cook for our supper. I did it on high for the first 45 minutes then went to low. I baked some take home and bake sandwich buns to have. One half of one is just right for one serving.

I had my potatoes and cauliflower ready for the oven and at 4:30 I removed the roast from the pot to cool a little and shred. I went to high on the crockpot then added some cornstarch mixed with a little water. The meat was fall apart tender and put it back in the crockpot after shredding and removing what little fat there was. At 4:55 I put the potatoes and cauliflower in my preheated oven at 375 deg. All would be ready at 5:30.

Searing the arm roast


The onions and garlic sauteing


Here I just added some beer to deglaze the pan


Onions, garlic and beer were added to the pot, roast on top then just enough beer to almost cover the meat.


My Yukon gold potatoes. I boiled them for about 25 minutes until fork tender, placed in the dish I had sprayed w/olive oil, and smashed coarsly with a fork. I poured over a 1/4 stick of melted butter, salt, pepper, dried parsley flakes, and some dried garlic flakes.


Cauliflower w/olive oil, salt, pepper, dried garlic flakes and some crushed rosemary


The roast is done and ready to remove and shred


The shredded beef


Back in the pot


Potatoes are done


Cauliflower is done


My Plate, some good eats and we will have some good leftovers. Thanks Ree, Pioneer Woman for the recipe.


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment