Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Dinner

Nov 22 2012

Well the holiday is over; we enjoyed having the whole family home, and some good food. I got up early and put the potatoes in the crockpot for hot German potato salad. Wednesday I had roasted some sweet potatoes with butter in the oven. All I needed to finish them was put on the stove, in a saucepan and heat up with some brown sugar and maple syrup. I sliced up enough of the Kassler ham and wrapped in foil with about an 1/8 cup of water. I had read a good way to reheat ham was to wrap in foil, add about an inch of water to a Crockpot, place the foil wrapped ham on a trivet. Cook on high for an hour then on low for three hours looking for an IT of 140 deg. Mine was a little overdone but still good. This was for a small whole ham and for sliced I would think an hour on high then on low for an hour to an hour and a half.

I got the Kassler ham in the Crockpot at 1:00 Pm. I made up my green bean casserole and corn pudding early and ready to bake. The green bean casserole I got off the Campbell soup site, I opted to use golden mushroom soup instead of the standard cream of mushroom soup and adding ½ cup of chopped red pepper and the usual French fried onions. For the corn pudding I used the Jiffy cornbread mix recipe that is easy to find on the net.

By 4:00 everyone was here and enjoying some appetizers. The appetizers were, smoked Cajun and Korean crackers, smoked Gouda and sharp cheddar cheese that I had cold smoked; some red pepper humus and a large veggie platter with onion dip.

All was done and ready to serve at 5:00. Most made ham sandwiches with rye bread, and I had some Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls. We all thought the ham was real good. I had some Lowensenf mustard and horseradish on my sandwich.

My thoughts on the Kassler ham was it sure tasted like ham, a little less salty and sweeter. Tasting some cold as I was slicing it I thought it would sure make a good cold ham sandwich. Mine was very tender but with good texture. I will add some more info in the printable recipe. The recipe I used was by Bubba on a homemade sausage forum. Thanks Bubba!

Did it taste like a Kassler Ham? To know that I would have to go to Germany to taste the real thing.

Printable Kassler Ham Recipe

Link to Bubba's Recipe and Photos

The roasted sweet potatoes I did Wednesday


Some appetizers, calabrese, copocola, and pepper salami, smoked Gouda and cheddar and some of my smoked Korean crackers.


Another view of the appetizers


The veggie plate


Slicing the Kassler Ham


My wife had a nice table set


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment