Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Baked Sirloin Steak

This was not done on my smoker but thought I would share it. My Mother fixed this for years and one of my favorite ways to cook sirloin or round steak. If you want to splurge use sirloin; if you want cheaper use round steak; both turn out pretty good.

Mother always used cream of mushroom soup for the gravy. I prefer using Campbells beefy mushroom soup or some Heinz home style gravy; this time I used their Bistro Au Jus.

I had two pieces of sirloin from my butcher Kah’s; each about 1 ¼ pounds. I cut them into serving size pieces on a cutting board; remove any unwanted fat. Pound them on each side a couple of times with a tenderizer mallet. I use a metal one with two sizes of points and I use the large points. The sirloin really doesn’t need tenderized but I like using the mallet; it gives more surface for the flour to stick, or so I think. If you use round steak you might want to tenderize it more. Before I got the mallet I used the edge of a dinner plate.

Heat a little oil in a large skillet, med high. While doing this preheat your oven to 350 deg. Dredge the meat in some seasoned flour, shake off the excess and brown 3 to 5 minutes on each side to get some nice browning. I just use a little salt and fresh ground pepper for seasoning. Do this in batches if necessary.

I use a covered corning ware casserole to do mine. Spray with a little cooking spray, cover the bottom with a little of the gravy and add the first batch of meat, and some more of the gravy. Layer the second batch of meat on top and the rest of the gravy. Deglaze the skillet with some water or milk and scrape all the brown bits from the bottom and pour over the top of the meat. I added some Wondra flour to my water since my gravy was on the thin side.

Place in the 350 deg. oven for 45 minutes with the lid on then remove the lid and bake another 15 minutes. To me this is best to serve with some good mashed potatoes to pour the gravy over. To make this easy I used some Yoder’s red skin mashed potatoes; these are about as good as I can make. The older I get I kind of look for shortcuts more often. For a veggie we had some left over green bean casserole and some dinner roles with butter. This was a tasty and easy meal.

For variations you can use any gravy of your choice or even just make your own after browning the meat. If you like cooking with wine you could deglaze the skillet with white wine to add.

Meat tenderized


Dredging in the flour


Browning the first side


Browning the second side


One layer in the casserole dish


Skillet deglazed and thickened


Yoder's mashed potatoes


My Plate


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment