Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Minute Steaks & Mushrooms W/ Demi Glace Gravy

Oct 04 2017

I had heard of Demi Glace before but never really knew what it was. I found it was made from mixing a veal sauce and a brown sauce 1:1 and cooking it down half. There are other variations of it. I found some Minor’s Beef Base and Beef Demi Glace on Amazon that came in pints so I got some of it.

Looks like it is used mostly commercial since the mixing directions say the beef base makes 5 gallons and the demi glace makes 2 quarts.

I wanted to do some minute steaks and saute some mushrooms in a gravy so I had a little guessing on how to mix it. I mixed about a TBS of the beef base to 2 cups water for the steaks and another 2 cups for the mushrooms.

I browned the steaks in a little olive oil then removed and wiped out the oil and added two cups of the broth I had mixed. Steaks went back in and in a 350 degree oven for an hour while I sliced up 8 oz. of cremini mushroom and thin sliced some sweet onions. I cleaned a bunch of asparagus too.

I melted 3 TBS. butter and added in the mushrooms & onions, when they cooked down some I added in most of the 2 cups broth and turned to a simmer for about 25 minutes. I added about a good teaspoon of the demi glace and stirred it in. Then I sprinkled some Wonder Flour over the top and stirred. It thickened up about the way I wanted.

I had sprinkled some olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the asparagus and did it in the microwave for 3 minutes to serve. I toasted an English muffin and buttered. I heated some leftover mashed potatoes and served the mushrooms and gravy over them and the steak for the wife and me. That sure did taste good. I was happy with my gravy but overcooked the minute steak some by not covering while in the oven.

For the gravy & mushrooms













Gravy thickening













Steak













My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment