Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sauerkraut Meatloaf

Feb 12 2013

I wanted to make a sauerkraut meatloaf before we ate all my homemade kraut. I found a good sounding recipe at cooks.com; it had minimum ingredients so not to mask the sauerkraut taste. I also like the fact it called for rye bread crumbs.

It called for half ground chuck and half sausage but I like to do a 3 to 1 ratio. I bought 1 ½ lbs. of ground chuck from my butcher. I thought I had ½ lb. sausage in the freezer but didn’t so I used two green onion brats.

I get everything ready before mixing up, dice any veggies and place them in a bowl with the seasonings.
I mix the ground chuck and sausage first then add the veggies and seasonings and mix that up some. I then add all the wet ingredients and mix well. Finally adding in the bread crumbs a little at a time and mix to incorporate.

I form it into a loaf in the bowl I mix it in and like to put in the fridge an hour or two before cooking. When I am ready to cook it I spray my favorite meatloaf pan with spam, place the meatloaf on and form into a nice loaf. For this one I added a slice of bacon to the top.

I got it on at 4:00 on smoke 175 deg. for a half hour and then went to 275 deg. At 5:00 it seemed to be coming up slow so I went to 300 deg. By 5:30 it was at 155 deg. IT so pulled it and tented with foil while I made the sides. I had come down with a cold and in the middle of painting wood work so not really into cooking. I cheated and used Bob Evan’s scalloped potatoes and some steamer corn. This all makes for an easy and good meal.

We both liked the meatloaf and will be making this again.

Printable Meatloaf Recipe

Ground Chuck and brats



Onions, mustard, thyme, salt, pepper and kraut



Wet ingredients added



Loaf formed



Meatloaf done



My Plate


No comments:

Post a Comment