Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cajun Brat Burger and Turnip Greens

Feb 22 2013

My wife was having a night out with the ladies, dinner and some music at a school art center. This was my time to fix myself some food I love. I had four Cajun brats for my butcher, a bag of turnip greens, and a red sweet potato.

For the turnip greens I added about 2 cups of chicken broth to my Crockpot, added the greens on top. I diced and browned some bacon, removed from the skillet and spooned over the greens. I then sliced a large onion and chopped 4 cloves of garlic, sautéed them in the bacon grease. I added those over the greens then deglazed the skillet and poured it over. I added a few shakes of crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.

I got this on at noon, cooked on high for a couple of hours then on low to simmer all afternoon. I added some Cholula hot sauce near the end.

I fired up my Traeger and preheated to 300 deg. and added the sweet potato. I had sliced it in half, a couple pats of butter and wrapped in foil. I made up two patties from the 4 brats, added some dried garlic flakes to them. I got them on a half hour after the sweet potato and in 45 minutes they would be done. I added some Kerry Gold Dubliner cheese to one burger to melt at the end.

I sautéed some of my homemade sauerkraut for on the sandwich along with some mustard. It sure tasted good and I had two helpings of the turnip greens.

Turnip greens ingredients



Browning the bacon



Bacon added to the greens and broth



Onions and garlic added



Brats on the smoker



Sauteing the sauerkraut



My Plate



No comments:

Post a Comment