Sunday, September 2, 2012

Gravy Smothered Arm Roast

This is my kind of meal, some tender beef, gravy, potatoes and carrots, a side veggie with bread and butter. I was at Kah’s, my butcher and this arm roast looked good. I would do it on my smoker low & slow smothered with gravy.

It was a warm and muggy day, slow drizzling rain most of the afternoon. I enjoyed sitting on my smoke deck while the roast was on, watching two humming birds chasing each other.

I trimmed the roast some and seasoned with salt & fresh ground pepper. I heated my cast iron skillet with a little olive oil and seared the roast then on the smoker at 225 deg. I topped with a couple slices of sweet onion and just enough beer to keep the bottom of the skillet wet and did it for 45 minutes before adding my gravy. For the gravy I mixed a jar of Heinz savory beef gravy and a can of Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup with garlic. Now you could make your own gravy but this is a whole lot easier! The roast was on a total of 4 hours and my Traeger was more like 235 deg on the 225 setting.

I baked some take home & bake crusty rolls to have with supper. I made a dish of half ripe tomatoes from my garden sliced up. One layer then a couple slices of onions chopped, seasoning and topped with a cup of shredded four cheese Italian blend. Then I added another layer of tomatoes, seasoning and one cup of shredded cheese.

For my other side I peeled and cut up some potatoes added some organic carrots and boiled for 10 minutes. They then went into a casserole dish with butter, olive oil, salt pepper, and parsley. I had both sides ready for the oven at 360 deg. at 5:00, I had figured on one hour and the meat would be done. After a half hour the cheese on the tomatoes was starting to brown, I checked the meat and it was done so I got it all together just a little early. I cut up the meat in the skillet and served.

I had the beef and gravy over a half of roll and buttered the other half. The beef was fork tender and we had a great supper! I love some gravy bread!

Arm Roast


After 45 minutes


Roast is done


My two sides


Roast sliced and ready to serve


My Plate


Smokin Don


No comments:

Post a Comment