Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Smoked Potato Soup

I remember my Mothers potato soup, sometimes she added rivvels, a drop noodle, and that was the best. I have had it in my head for a few days to smoke some potatoes for soup. Today, a mild fall day was a good day to try it. My wife makes some great Knopfles, German drop noodles, I would have liked to use but she was busy so I used some of my favorite store bought German spaetzel.

I got my potatoes and onions ready and on the smoker at 2:00 pm. My idea was not to fully cook the potatoes, but to get some smoke flavor in them; they would finish cooking in the soup. I had peeled one of them, thinking it would take on more smoke. If it dried out too much I would still have four to use. It turned out good to use; I mashed it up after cooking to thicken the soup some. I did them on smoke, 170 to 180 deg. for one hour then another hour at 225 deg. I used my Amazin tube smoker for some added smoke.

At 3:00 my wife was at an auction, my son was at the house they rented, my daughter in law was at work, and my grandson was coming home from school. It was drizzling rain so I walked two blocks to the bus stop with an umbrella to greet my grandson. I don’t know why, he walked ahead of me in the rain!

Everything came together to eat at 6:00. I made some toasted cheese sandwiches to have along with the soup. My wife said it was the best potato soup I ever made. My son said it was phenomenal. My grandson ate a big bowl. My daughter in law had some after she came from work and liked it. I loved the soup and had a nice feeling that everyone liked it.

This recipe is a keeper, next time I may peel all the potatoes before smoking & see how that tastes. The only thing that would have made this better would be to have some of my Cajun crackers along with the soup.

Printable soup recipe

Soup ingredients


Ready for the Smoker


After one hour


After two hours


Potatoes and onion


Diced onion


Celery, garlic and onions simmering


Diced potato


A little more pepper for me


My Plate, soup topped with cheddar and bacon


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment