Saturday, May 26, 2012

Starting the Memorial Day Week-end

Celebrating Memorial Day has always been a day to also celebrate our son’s birthday. He was born on Memorial Day, May 30th, 40 years ago this year. All three children are now over 40! Makes me feel old!

We will have a family party for him Sunday. Our daughter came home from the Chicago area and our d-i-l’s parents are coming down from Toledo. I am taking the easy way out for cooking. Getting broasted chicken from Beer & Wine carry out, I will do up some fresh brats on the smoker, some good locally made potato salad, and Bush’s grillin beans from the can. I am also having a cheese plate using some cheese I smoked a month ago. Our dessert will be local strawberries and brownies with Dairy Queen.

This week a local veggie stand opened with their strawberries and fresh tomatoes they bring in from Tennessee. The first taste of fresh garden tomatoes I get every summer.

Our daughter would be here in time for supper. Early in the day I smoked a batch of Cajun crackers to serve with the cheese Sunday. My recipe has evolved into a cup of ELOO, extra light olive oil, a package of Hidden Valley’s ranch dressing mix, 1 to 2 Tbs. of crushed red pepper, mixed well and poured over 3 sleeves of saltine crackers. Let marinate over night to soak up the olive oil. Stir several times. Smoke for 1 ½ hours on smoke setting. This time I used 2 Tbs. of Penzey’s Cajun seasoning in place of the crushed red pepper, and they turned out great.

My supper would be Bourbon smoked butter & garlic marinated chicken breasts, with a slice of bacon on top. Both came from my butcher Kah Meats. I know I did these before with BBQ Delight’s bourbon pellets. I was going to empty them out & start with their applewood pellets but I am loving those bourbon pellets so decided to use them up. I should use them up on the brats Sunday.

I did the chicken breasts for 1 hour, 20 min. on smoke and 40 min. at 325 deg. Melted some Swiss cheese over and served with the fresh tomatoes and grilled romaine lettuce. We all had sandwiches on some slim whole wheat buns and our side was Ore Ida’s fast food fries with cheddar cheese sauce.

Hope all have a safe week-end and I know all will have some great cooks!

Thanks to all our Veterans, past and present and all those who serve to keep us safe!

Cajun Crackers on the smoker


Crackers are done


Tennessee Tomatoes


Kah's Bacon


Kah's Chicken


Chickens about done, I added cheese to all the chicken


My Plate, my sandwich was the chicken w/bacon & cheese. grilled lettuce, slice of tomato, & Dijon mustard.


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment