Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Kraut's on for New Year's Day 2016

Nov 10 2015

Yep it’s getting that time again; if you want to have pork and sauerkraut for New Year’s good luck meal better get it on. I let mine ferment for 30 days so it will be done Dec. 10th and have time to mellow out in the fridge before New Year’s Day 2016.

I would have liked to use my 5 liter fermenting crock but it’s too heavy for me to mess with anymore. I have a lid and water trap that fits wide mouth jars so I made a half gallon. I had two heads of cabbage and it took one and a half for enough to fill the half gallon jar. Just 2 tablespoons of coarse salt with the shredded cabbage, some good stomping, pack it in the jar, add a little saltwater to cover, place the lid and trap on and let set for 30 days for Mother Nature to do her work. For the salt water to add I add a teaspoon of coarse salt to a pint of filtered water.

Before I made up the kraut I baked two pies. I don’t fuss a lot making desserts; for my crusts I used Pillsbury’s Pet Ritz. They come two in a pack and are in foil pie pans. I had a recipe for a cream cheese pie I wanted to do. Since they come two in a pack I did a berry pie topped with strudel for my wife. The berries were store bought pie filling, strawberries, raspberries and blue berries. The topping was just ¼ cup sugar, 1/3 cup Quaker oats, 1/3 cup flour mixed with 3 tablespoons melted butter. It was baked on a sheet pan at 375 deg. for 45 minutes.

I had the half head of cabbage left so I fried up some diced potatoes and onions and the cabbage. I heated up some of the leftover meatloaf fatty and that was our supper tonight along with some of the hard cider bread.


The kids stopped in on their way out to eat and they stopped back for some pie for dessert. I had a half slice each and they were good together.

My pies














Making the kraut

Be done in 30 days

No comments:

Post a Comment